I'm at the Orange Conference with our staff this week in Atlanta. Our team read H3 Leadership by Brad Lomenick this past year and I had the opportunity to sit in on his breakout. He said a ton of insightful things but this is what will stick with me the most.
There is a huge difference between our identity, our calling and our assignment.
- Identity is who you are and never changes.
- Calling is why you are here and can occasionally change.
- Assignment is what you do and changes more frequently.
We tend to view them as the same and when we do there are consequences:
- When assignment changes we believe lies about our identity and we question our calling.
- When calling changes we stay in an assignment we need to release to protect both our identity and our assignment.
A leader must detach their identity from their assignment to lead in healthy ways. A leader must be willing to give up an assignment to live out of their true identity.
Your assignment isn't your identity.
@@If I were to ask you what God was doing in your life, could you answer without talking about the thing you lead?@@